Pray to the Creator on His creation.
After years of careful design, we are pleased to offer a prayer rug with a prostration area that is woven of halfa, a wild organic grass that grows in North Africa, and is permissible for direct prayer without a turba in accordance with the consensus of Jaafari scholars and the recommendation of Maliki and other scholars.
We offer these rugs with an intention to prompt reflection on the production and materials of prayer rugs around the world, which are unfortunately too often produced in exploitative conditions and of pollutive materials.
- 95% undyed raw local shepherds' sheep wool; 5% Halfa wild grass
- Featuring veg-tanned undyed leather pocket in the back to hold prayer beads, small prayer books, or anything else
- Minimalist Kaʿba design facilitate focus and calm in prayer
- Four layers of naturally elastic wool provide soft cushioning for a comfortable and supported prayer
- Handwoven and spun by North African artisans in their homes in a decentralized shared profits cooperative
- About 68 cm wide and 125 cm long
You can watch an interview with Ryadh, who wove these rugs, here. A video of how these rugs were painstakingly woven can be seen on the last slide!
Note: halfa grass is not traditionally consumed or worn. This rug was approved by scholars of various schools and sects as permissible and even recommended for direct prayer.